Monday, April 9, 2012

"Violet Garden Quilt".




Designed, machine-pieced & machine-quilted by me. Inspiration was from a gorgeous violet floral print found at a craft show... I picked up two fat quarters, and waited for inspiration....

It seemed to  evoke images of fragrant violets nestling in the cool, dark shade of a disused, rustic country train track (hence the rail fence block used).  The violets are trailing across swathes of summer grass, in the deep purple shadows of late afternoon. Both sides of the purple & orchid satins were used, to add reflection and light. (Feb-May 2008)

2 comments:

  1. I really like this quilt. Reminds me of Nana P. who always grew violets in her garden at Leichhardt. During 1967 when we spent most weekends there you use to pick the violets and walk around smelling their perfume. I love the 3 D effect. Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mum. What a lovely memory. It's all coming back to me. I've always felt drawn to violets & their fragrance, without consciously knowing why. Its a simple quilt, technique-wise, and not perfectly sewn, but the colours sing to me, and make me feel happy.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely to hear from you :)